1955 British Grand Prix
Template:Infobox Grand Prix race report The 1955 British Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at Aintree on 16 July 1955. It was race 6 of 7 in the 1955 World Championship of Drivers. British driver Stirling Moss led a Mercedes 1–2–3–4 domination of the race, to win his first Formula One race narrowly ahead of his illustrious Argentine teammate Juan Manuel Fangio. Several people, including Moss, believed that the Argentine allowed his British protegé to claim his debut win in front of his home crowd. This was, however, at Moss' inquiry, consistently denied by Fangio, who claimed that Moss "was simply faster that day."
Subsequent to the race, the German, Swiss and Spanish Grands Prix were cancelled, in the wake of the Le Mans disaster. With only one Championship round therefore remaining (the Italian Grand Prix some 2 months later), Fangio's points advantage over Moss was sufficient to secure his third World Drivers' Championship.
Classification[edit source | edit]
|2||10||Juan Manuel Fangio||Mercedes||90||+0.2||2||6|
|4||50||Piero Taruffi||Mercedes||89||+1 Lap||5||3|
|5||4||Luigi Musso||Maserati||89||+1 Lap||9||2|
|6||16|| Mike Hawthorn
|7||26||Mike Sparken||Gordini||81||+9 Laps||23|
|8||46||Lance Macklin||Maserati||79||+11 Laps||16|
|9||28|| Ken Wharton
|Ret||32||Kenneth McAlpine||Connaught-Alta||30||Oil Pressure||17|
|Ret||24||Hermano da Silva Ramos||Gordini||26||Oil Pressure||18|
|Ret||36|| Tony Rolt
|Ret||2||Jean Behra||Maserati||9||Oil Leak||3|
- ^1 – Includes 1 point for fastest lap
Notes[edit source | edit]
- Shared Drives:
- Grand Prix debut for Jack Brabham. Only Grand Prix appearance for Mike Sparken.
- Last Grand Prix appearance for: Lance Macklin, Leslie Marr, Kenneth McAlpine, Tony Rolt, and Peter Walker.
- Career Firsts: Stirling Moss (win).
- First British GP Win by a British driver
Championship standings after the race[edit source | edit]
- Drivers' Championship standings
|1||Juan Manuel Fangio||33|
|3||Maurice Trintignant||11 1⁄3|
|4||Nino Farina||10 1⁄3|
- Note: Only the top five positions are included.
References[edit source | edit]
- Lang, Mike (1981). Grand Prix! Vol 1. Haynes Publishing Group. p. 90. ISBN 0-85429-276-4.
- "1955 British Grand Prix". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 12 October 2014. Retrieved 9 August 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Britain 1955 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 13 March 2019.
Visibility[edit source | edit]
This page has been added to search engine indexes. learn more