2020–21 UEFA Champions League group stage
Template:Infobox international football competition The 2020–21 UEFA Champions League group stage began on 20 October 2020 and ended on 9 December 2020. A total of 32 teams competed in the group stage to decide the 16 places in the knockout phase of the 2020–21 UEFA Champions League.
Draw[edit source | edit]
The 32 teams were drawn into eight groups of four, with the restriction that teams from the same association could not be drawn against each other. For the draw, the teams were seeded into four pots based on the following principles (Regulations Article 13.06):
- Pot 1 contained the Champions League and Europa League title holders, and the champions of the top six associations based on their 2019 UEFA country coefficients. As the Champions League title holders, Bayern Munich, were also the champions of their association, the champions of the next highest ranked association, Portugal, were also seeded into Pot 1.
- Pots 2, 3 and 4 contained the remaining teams, seeded based on their 2020 UEFA club coefficients.
Moreover, for associations with two or more teams, teams were paired in order to split them into two sets of four groups (A–D, E–H) for maximum television coverage. The following pairings were announced by UEFA after the group stage teams were confirmed:
- A Template:Fbaicon Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund
- B Template:Fbaicon Sevilla and Atlético Madrid
- C Template:Fbaicon Real Madrid and Barcelona
- D Template:Fbaicon Liverpool and Manchester United
- E Template:Fbaicon Juventus and Inter Milan
- F Template:Fbaicon Paris Saint-Germain and Marseille
- G Template:Fbaicon Zenit Saint Petersburg and Lokomotiv Moscow
- H Template:Fbaicon Manchester City and Chelsea
- I Template:Fbaicon Shakhtar Donetsk and Dynamo Kyiv
- J Template:Fbaicon RB Leipzig and Borussia Mönchengladbach
- K Template:Fbaicon Lazio and Atalanta
On each matchday, one set of four groups played their matches on Tuesday, while the other set of four groups played their matches on Wednesday, with the two sets of groups alternating between each matchday. The fixtures were decided after the draw, using a computer draw not shown to public, with the following match sequence (Regulations Article 16.02):
|Matchday 1||20–21 October 2020|
|Matchday 2||27–28 October 2020|
|Matchday 3||3–4 November 2020|
|Matchday 4||24–25 November 2020|
|Matchday 5||1–2 December 2020|
|Matchday 6||8–9 December 2020|
There were scheduling restrictions: for example, teams from the same city (e.g. Real Madrid & Atlético Madrid and Manchester City & Manchester United) in general were not scheduled to play at home on the same matchday (to avoid them playing at home on the same day or on consecutive days, due to logistics and crowd control), and teams from "winter countries" (e.g. Russia) were not scheduled to play at home on the last matchday (due to cold weather).
Teams[edit source | edit]
- 26 teams which entered in this stage
- 6 winners of the play-off round (4 from Champions Path, 2 from League Path)
|Key to colours|
|Group winners and runners-up advance to round of 16|
|Third-placed teams enter Europa League round of 32|
- TH Champions League title holders, automatically placed into Pot 1 as top seed.
- EL Europa League title holders, automatically placed into Pot 1 as second top seed.
- CP Winners of play-off round (Champions Path).
- LP Winners of play-off round (League Path).
Format[edit source | edit]
In each group, teams played against each other home-and-away in a round-robin format. The group winners and runners-up advanced to the round of 16, while the third-placed teams entered the Europa League round of 32.
Tiebreakers[edit source | edit]
Teams were ranked according to points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss). If two or more teams were tied on points, the following tiebreaking criteria were applied, in the order given, to determine the rankings (see Article 17 Equality of points – group stage, Regulations of the UEFA Champions League):
- Points in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
- Goal difference in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
- Goals scored in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
- Away goals scored in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
- If more than two teams were tied, and after applying all head-to-head criteria above, a subset of teams are still tied, all head-to-head criteria above were reapplied exclusively to this subset of teams;
- Goal difference in all group matches;
- Goals scored in all group matches;
- Away goals scored in all group matches;
- Wins in all group matches;
- Away wins in all group matches;
- Disciplinary points (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
- UEFA club coefficient.
Groups[edit source | edit]
The matchdays were 20–21 October, 27–28 October, 3–4 November, 24–25 November, 1–2 December, and 8–9 December 2020. The scheduled kickoff times were 21:00 CET/CEST, with two matches on each Tuesday and Wednesday scheduled for 18:55 CET/CEST.
Group A[edit source | edit]
Group B[edit source | edit]
Group C[edit source | edit]
Group D[edit source | edit]
Group E[edit source | edit]
Group F[edit source | edit]
Group G[edit source | edit]
Group H[edit source | edit]
Notes[edit source | edit]
References[edit source | edit]
- "UEFA Champions League Schedule". UEFA.com. 30 September 2020.
- "UEFA Champions League group stage draw". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 1 October 2020. Retrieved 1 October 2020.
- "Club coefficients". UEFA.com. UEFA.
- "Emergency Panel decisions". UEFA.com. UEFA. Retrieved 1 October 2020.
- "Champions League group stage draw: all you need to know". UEFA.com. UEFA. Retrieved 1 October 2020.
- "Club coefficients". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 26 August 2020. Retrieved 26 August 2020.
- "Regulations of the UEFA Champions League, 2020/21". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 24 September 2020.
- "Champions League group stage fixtures". UEFA.com. 2 October 2020.
[edit source | edit]
Visibility[edit source | edit]
This page has been added to search engine indexes. learn more