2020 European Tour
The COVID-19 pandemic had a major impact on the season, with many tournaments being rescheduled or cancelled. All four major championships were affected; the Open Championship was cancelled, and the Masters Tournament, U.S. Open and PGA Championship were moved to dates much later in the year.
Changes from previous season[edit source | edit]
Schedule[edit source | edit]
With the addition of golf at the Olympic Games to the schedule in 2020, the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open was moved from its usual July spot to May in order to avoid a clash with the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational.
Events[edit source | edit]
Slow play rules[edit source | edit]
Schedule[edit source | edit]
In-season changes[edit source | edit]
Due to the 2019 Hong Kong protests, the Honma Hong Kong Open, originally scheduled for 28 November – 1 December 2019 as a co-sanctioned event with the Asian Tour, was rescheduled for 9–12 January 2020 as an Asian Tour event without European Tour sanctioning.
The remainder of the schedule was severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- On 14 February, the Maybank Championship in Malaysia and the Volvo China Open were postponed.
- On 6 March, the Magical Kenya Open was postponed.
- On 11 March, the Hero Indian Open was postponed, and the D+D Real Czech Masters was cancelled.
- On 13 March, the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play was cancelled.
- On 17 March, the Estrella Damm N.A. Andalucía Masters was postponed.
- On 19 March, the GolfSixes Cascais was cancelled and the Made in Denmark was postponed.
- On 30 March, the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open was postponed.
- On 6 April, the Trophée Hassan II was postponed and the inaugural Scandinavian Mixed was cancelled. The R&A also announced the cancellation of the Open Championship in 2020, and the seasons other major championships were rescheduled.
- On 16 April, the PGA Tour announced the rescheduling of several tournaments, including the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational.
- On 17 April, the BMW International Open and Open de France were cancelled, and the Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open was postponed.
- On 1 May, the Omega European Masters was cancelled.
Official events[edit source | edit]
The following table lists official events for 2019–20.
Unofficial events[edit source | edit]
The following events appear on the schedule, but do not carry official money.
|GolfSixes Cascais||Portugal||Cancelled||n/a||Sixteen 2-man teams|
Cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic
|Olympic men's golf competition||Japan||Postponed||60-player field|
Postponed to 2021 due to COVID-19 pandemic
|27 Sep||Ryder Cup||United States||n/a||Two 12-man teams|
Location of tournaments[edit source | edit]
Race to Dubai points leaders[edit source | edit]
|Pos.||Player||Majors||World Golf Ch.||Rolex Series||Top 10s in other ET events||Total
|3||Template:Country data AUS Lucas Herbert||T58
|6||Erik van Rooyen||T3
See also[edit source | edit]
References[edit source | edit]
- Lavner, Ryan (22 January 2020). "Here's early evidence the Euro Tour's new pace-of-play policy works". Golf Channel. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- "Statement on the Hong Kong Open". PGA European Tour. 20 November 2019. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
- "Hong Kong Open rescheduled for January 2020". ESPN. 6 December 2019.
- "Statement on the Maybank Championship and Volvo China Open". PGA European Tour. 14 February 2020.
- Gray, Will (6 March 2020). "European Tour cancels Kenya Open over coronavirus". Golf Channel. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "Joint Statement on the Hero Indian Open". European Tour. 11 March 2020. Retrieved 11 March 2020.
- ČTK (11 March 2020). "Golfové Czech Masters se letos neuskuteční. Pořadatelé akci s velkým předstihem odvolali" [Golf Czech Masters will not take place this year. The organizers cancelled the event long in advance]. iRozhlas.cz (in Czech). Retrieved 11 March 2020.
- Harig, Bob (13 March 2020). "PGA Tour cancels Players Championship after first round". ESPN. Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- Gray, Will (17 March 2020). "European Tour postpones Andalucia Masters over COVID-19 concerns". Golf Channel. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- "European Tour cancels GolfSixes, postpones Made in Denmark". Golf Channel. 19 March 2020. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- "Irish Open: Mount Juliet European Tour event postponed because of coronavirus". BBC Sport. 30 March 2020. Retrieved 30 March 2020.
- Stafford, Ali (6 April 2020). "Coronavirus: European Tour cancels inaugural Scandinavian Mixed". Sky Sports. Retrieved 6 April 2020.
- "The Open cancelled; Masters, US Open & US PGA Championship rescheduled". BBC Sport. 6 April 2020. Retrieved 6 April 2020.
- Jackson, Keith (6 April 2020). "The 149th Open cancelled for this year and will return to Sandwich in 2021". Sky Sports. Retrieved 6 April 2020.
- "PGA TOUR announces schedule adjustments for remainder of 2019-20 FedExCup season, releases fall portion of 2020-21 PGA TOUR Regular Season schedule". PGA Tour. 16 April 2020. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- "A message from European Tour Chief Executive Keith Pelley". European Tour. 17 April 2020. Retrieved 17 April 2020.
- "European Tour: Omega European Masters cancelled". Sky Sports. 1 May 2020. Retrieved 1 May 2020.
- "The 2020 European Tour schedule". PGA European Tour. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
[edit source | edit]
Visibility[edit source | edit]
This page has been added to search engine indexes. learn more