2020 Oromia clashes
|2020 Oromia Clashes|
|Location||Oromia Region, Ethiopia|
|Date||30 June 2020-ongoing|
|Perpetrator||Ethiopian National Defense Force|
On 1st July 2020, 81 civilans in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia and Addis Ababa were killed. The protests come right after the death of singer and activist Hachalu Hundessa, who was shot and killed in Addis Ababa. Hundessa's uncle was killed in the clashes and many political activists were arrested, including Jawar Mohammed, and Bekele Gerba from Oromo Federalist Democratic Movement political party, as well as Eskinder Nega and Sintayehu Chekol from Balderas movement.
The official statement from the government claimed that the killing of Hachalu Hundessa was orchestrated by Tigray People's Liberation Front, OLF-Shane, and Jawar Mohammed. The government claimed that the intention was to have the funeral of Hachalu Hundessa in Addis Ababa so that angry Oromo youths that would come to the city would destroy statues and monuments in the city, a move that would have put them in collision course with the city residents. The plan was to use the ensuing violence in discrediting and overthrowing the government of Abiy Ahmed. On July 2, 2020, Jawar Mohammed and his followers were brought to court and charged with instigating violence and causing death of civilians. The country's attorney general also mentioned, that Jawar Mohammed will be held responsible for the event from October 2019, where more than 86 civilans were killed as a result of Facebook post Jawar Mohammed made. On 5th July 2020, it was reported that an additional 85 were killed, bring the death toll to 166. More than 1000 have been arrested.
References[edit source | edit]
- Endeshaw, Dawit. "Military deployed in Ethiopian capital after more than 80 killed in protests". Reuter. Retrieved 3 July 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Hachalu Hundessa: Ethiopia singer's death unrest killed 166". BBC. Retrieved 5 July 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ethiopian singer Hachalu Hundessa shot dead in Addis Ababa". aljazeera/. Retrieved 3 July 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Ghedamu, Feleke, Adebayo, Tefera, Bethlehem, Bukola. "Slain Ethiopian activist and singer buried as 81 killed in protests". CNN. Retrieved 3 July 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Hachalu Hundessa: 'Eighty-one killed' in protests over Ethiopian singer's death". BBC. Retrieved 3 July 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "ከአቶ ጃዋር መሐመድ ጋራ 35 ሰዎች ታሰሩ". ቪኦኤ. Retrieved 6 July 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Visibility[edit source | edit]
This page has been added to search engine indexes. learn more