2020 Pakistan Stock Exchange attack
|2020 Pakistan Stock Exchange attack|
|Date||29 June 2020|
|Mass shooting, grenades|
|Perpetrators||Balochistan Liberation Army (claimed)|
On 29 June 2020, terrorists attacked the Pakistan Stock Exchange building in Karachi with grenades and by firing indiscriminately. Three security guards and a police sub-inspector were killed, while seven people were injured during the attack. Police reported that they killed all four attackers.
Attack[edit source | edit]
Terrorists armed with automatic rifles threw a grenade and then began firing at a security post outside the stock exchange. "They had come in a silver Corolla car," Karachi police chief Ghulam Nabi Memon later told Reuters.
Guards fought back, killing all four attackers, the authorities say, but police officers and security personnel are among the casualties. The stock exchange director, Abid Ali Habib, said the gunmen made their way from the car park and "opened fire on everyone". Reports say most people managed to escape or hide in locked rooms. Those inside the building were evacuated from the back door, Geo TV reported.
The trading continued and was not halted.
Attackers[edit source | edit]
Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) spokesman took responsibility for the attack through a twitter account. The spokesman also said that all the terrorists were suicide attackers. However, the BLA spokesman claims could not be confirmed, and his twitter account was soon suspended. BLA is a global terrorist organisation operating mainly from its bases in Afghanistan.
References[edit source | edit]
- "Pakistan stock exchange in Karachi under attack, say police". The National. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- "Gunmen attack Karachi stock exchange building in Pakistan". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- "'All terrorists killed,' police say after Pakistan Stock Exchange comes under gun and grenade attack". www.geo.tv. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- CNN, Sophia Saifi. "Multiple people dead after attack on Pakistan Stock Exchange". CNN. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- "Gunmen attack Pakistani stock exchange, six killed: police". Reuters. 29 June 2020. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- "'All terrorists killed,' police say after Pakistan Stock Exchange comes under gun and grenade attack". Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- "All 4 terrorists killed in attempt to storm Pakistan Stock Exchange compound in Karachi: Rangers". Dawn. 29 June 2020.
- "Deadly gun attack on Pakistan stock exchange". BBC News. 29 June 2020. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- Pakistan stock exchange attack: Baloch Liberation Army takes responsibility, 4 terrorists killed, 29 June 2020, India Today
- Gunmen storm stock exchange in Pakistan’s commercial capital; attack foiled, 29 June 2020, The Washington Post
- Pakistan Stock Exchange comes under terror attack, 29 June 2020, Outlook India
Visibility[edit source | edit]
This page has been added to search engine indexes. learn more