2021 Kyrgyz presidential election
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Background[edit source | edit]
On 24 October 2020, the Central Electoral Commission of Kyrgyzstan (BShK) announced that an early presidential election would be held on 10 January 2021. The announcement of the early election occurred after several weeks of public protests and political chaos which caused the resignation of President Sooronbai Jeenbekov. The upheaval followed accusations of election corruption occurring in the 2020 Kyrgyz parliamentary election which was held on 4 October 2020 and was subsequently annulled by the Central Electoral Commission.
Candidates[edit source | edit]
As of 14 November 2020, 63 individuals had filed applications to run for the office. Applicants had until 4 December 2020 to gather 30,000 signatures in support of their candidacy and pay a ballot access fee of KGS 1,000,000 (US$11,830). On 4 December, the Central Committee on Elections announced the final list of 19 approved candidates.
See also[edit source | edit]
References[edit source | edit]
- "IFES Election Guide". International Foundation for Electoral Systems. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty Kyrgyz Service (24 October 2020). "Kyrgyzstan Schedules Early Presidential Election For January 10". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- Catherine Putz (2 November 2020). "New Election Dates and Challenges for Kyrgyzstan". The Diplomat. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "63 individuals apply for presidential elections in Kyrgyzstan". TASS. 14 November 2020. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "Шайлоо өнөктүгүнүн кезектеги этабы аяктады – КР Президентинин кызмат ордуна талапкерлер кол коюу барактарын тапшырышты жана шайлоо күрөөсүн төлөштү - КР БШК". Кыргыз Республикасынын шайлоо жана референдум өткөрүү боюнча борбордук комиссиясы (in Kyrgyz). 4 December 2020. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
[edit source | edit]
- Government of Kyrgyzstan official site
Visibility[edit source | edit]
This page has been added to search engine indexes. learn more