2021 in Cuba
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Events[edit source | edit]
- January 1
- The United States adds Banco Financiero International SA (BFI) to the Cuba Restricted List. The Trump administration is considering adding Cuba to its list of state-sponsored terrorism.
- Cuba eliminates the "convertible peso" used in government establishments valued at 24 pesos/dollar for sales and 25 pesos/dollar for purchases. This is the first devaluation of the peso since the Revolution of 1959.
- The minimum wage increases from 400 pesos to 2,100 pesos (USD $17 to USD $87).
- January 11 – The United States re-lists Cuba as State Sponsors of Terrorism. President Obama removed Cuba from the list in 2015.
Predicted and scheduled events[edit source | edit]
- April 19 – After 62 years of government by the Castro brothers, Raúl Castro is expected to step down as First Secretary at the Eighth Congress of the Communist Party of Cuba, which is scheduled to take place April 16 to 19, 2021.
Deaths[edit source | edit]
- Enrique Pineda Barnet, 87, film director and screenwriter (I Am Cuba).
- January 18 – Juan Carlos Tabío, 77, film director (Strawberry and Chocolate, Lista de Espera, 7 Days in Havana).
See also[edit source | edit]
References[edit source | edit]
- "Trump administration adds Cuban bank to US restricted list". aljazeera.com. Al Jazeera English. January 1, 2021. Retrieved January 2, 2021.
- "Cuba planea primera devaluación del peso desde la revolución de 1959". www.msn.com. Reuters. Retrieved September 10, 2020.
- "Cuba to increase minimum salary fivefold". msn.com. AFP. December 9, 2020. Retrieved December 15, 2020.
- Conradis, Brandon (11 January 2021). "Trump administration names Cuba a 'state sponsor of terrorism'". TheHill. Retrieved January 11, 2021.
- "Led by Raúl, the 11th Plenum of the Communist Party Central Committee held". en.granma.cu. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- Patrick Oppmann; Alanne Orjoux. "Miguel Diaz-Canel named Cuba's new president". CNN. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- Fallece en La Habana el cineasta cubano Enrique Pineda Barnet (in Spanish)
- Fallece en Cuba Juan Carlos Tabío, codirector de "Fresa y Chocolate" (in Spanish)
[edit source | edit]
- A unified Cuban peso, the Times Square ball and cashless Sweden (Al Jazeera, January 1, 2021)
- Cuba tweaks socialist model to encourage work amid crisis (By ANDREA RODRÍGUEZ, Associated Press, January 14, 2021
Visibility[edit source | edit]
This page has been added to search engine indexes. learn more