8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea
|8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea|
|Begins||5 January 2021|
|Location(s)||April 25 House of Culture, Pyongyang, North Korea|
|Previous event||7th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (2016)|
The 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea is being held at the April 25 House of Culture in Pyongyang from 5 January 2021. A total of 7,000 delegates representing an estimated 9.1 million party members are participating.
Preparations[edit source | edit]
Hints of an upcoming 8th WPK Congress first emerged during the 13th Political Bureau meeting of the 7th WPK Central Committee held on 7 June 2020. The meeting mentioned a drafting of an amendment of the WPK Charter, which can only be approved through either a party congress or a party conference.
The congress was announced through a decision issued at the 6th plenary meeting of the 7th WPK Central Committee on 19 August 2020. Among the congress agendas are the review of the work of the WPK Central Committee, the review of the work of the Central Auditing Commission, the revision of the WPK Charter and the election of the central leadership organ.
WPK Chairman Kim Jong-un also revealed during the plenary meeting that a new five-year economic development plan is going to be presented at the congress after mentioning that the current five-year economic development plan has fallen far short of its objectives.
Ahead of the party congress, an 80-day mass mobilization campaign was announced at the 19th Political Bureau meeting of the 7th WPK Central Committee on 5 October 2020. The campaign took place from 12 October until 30 December 2020.
On 29 November 2020, the 21st enlarged Political Bureau meeting of the 7th WPK Central Committee was held which discussed preparatory work for the party congress, which included the preparations for the election of delegates to the party congress, the documents for the party congress and the political and cultural events to be held during the party congress. According to analysts, there will likely be a military and civilian parade sometime during the congress.
The Political Bureau of the 7th WPK Central Committee decided during its 22nd meeting on 29 December 2020 that the party congress is to be convened in early January 2021. A separate report from the Korean Central News Agency on 30 December confirmed that the party congress is to be held in Pyongyang.
Delegates[edit source | edit]
Delegates to the 8th WPK Congress were elected in conferences of provincial party committees and other party organizations in December 2020. They were elected on the basis of one delegate with voting rights for every 1,300 Party members and one delegate with speaking rights for every 1,300 Party members. Elected party congress delegates arrived in Pyongyang in late December 2020.
The qualifications of party congress delegates were evaluated and approved by the 22nd Political Bureau meeting of the 7th WPK Central Committee on 29 December 2020. The meeting also decided on the members of the party congress' presidium, platform members and secretariat.
A ceremony for awarding certificates to party congress delegates was held on 30 December 2020. Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il were given posthumous certificates for being delegates to the 8th WPK Congress during the ceremony.
References[edit source | edit]
- "Eighth Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea opens in Pyongyang". Pyongyang Times. 6 January 2021. Retrieved 6 January 2021 – via KCNA Watch.
- "Political Bureau of C.C., WPK Meets under Guidance of Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un". KCNA Watch. 8 June 2020.
- "8th Congress of WPK to Be Convened". KCNA Watch. 20 August 2020.
- "6th Plenary Meeting of 7th Central Committee of WPK Held". KCNA Watch. 20 August 2020.
- Koh, Byung-joon (20 August 2020). "N.K. to unveil new 5-year economic development plan at rare party congress next year". Yonhap News Agency.
- "19th Meeting of Political Bureau of 7th Central Committee of WPK Held". KCNA Watch. 6 October 2020.
- "N. Korea Calls for Self-Rehabilitation as End of '80-Day Battle' Approaches". KBS WORLD Radio. 28 December 2020.
- "Enlarged Meeting of 21st Political Bureau of 7th Central Committee of WPK Held". KCNA Watch. 30 November 2020.
- "Mystery Structure Appears in Kim Il Sung Square | 38 North: Informed Analysis of North Korea". 38north.org. 2020-12-18. Retrieved 2020-12-19.
- "22nd Meeting of Political Bureau of 7th Central Committee of WPK Held". KCNA Watch. 30 December 2020.
- "Brisk Preparations for 8th Congress of WPK". KCNA Watch. 31 December 2020.
- "Certificates Awarded to Delegates to 8th Congress of WPK". KCNA Watch. 31 December 2020.
Visibility[edit source | edit]
This page has been added to search engine indexes. learn more