A1 highway (Sri Lanka)
This article does not cite any sources. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
History[edit source | edit]
Commonly known as the Kandy Road, the A 1 was the first modern highway in the island. Construction began in 1820 under the orders of the British Governor of Ceylon, Sir Robert Wilmot-Horton, 3rd Baronet. Construction was carried out by Captain William Francis Dawson—who died during the project—along with Major Thomas Skinner. In the memory of Captain Dawson, the Dawson Tower was erected at Kadugannawa in the Kadugannawa Pass.
Route[edit source | edit]
The A1 highway begins at Colombo Fort. It passes through Peliyagoda, Kelaniya, Kiribathgoda, Mahara, Kadawatha, Kirillawala, Imbulgoda, Balummahara, Miriswaththa, Yakkala, Weediyawaththa, Thihariya, Nittambuwa, Pasyala, Wewaldeniya, Danovita, Warakapola, and Ambepussa. At Ambepussa, Kurunegala, Mawathagama, Paragahadeniya the A6 Highway branches off the A1, heading towards Kurunegala. The A1 continues east, passing Tholangamuwa, Udukumbura, Nelundeniya, Yattogoda, Galigamuwa, Ambanpitiya, Ranwala, Kegalle, Meepitiya, Karandupana, Molagoda, Uthuwankanda, Anwarama, Mawanella, Beligammana, Hingula, Kadugannawa, Pilimathalawa, Kiribathkumbura, and Peradeniya to reach Kandy.
Images[edit source | edit]
Here are some photos of A1 Highway and notable places found along it.
References[edit source | edit]
Visibility[edit source | edit]
This page has been added to search engine indexes. learn more