In the Earth sciences, aggregate has three possible meanings.
In mineralogy and petrology, an aggregate is a mass of mineral crystals, mineraloid particles or rock particles. Examples are dolomite, which is an aggregate of crystals of the mineral dolomite, and rock gypsum, an aggregate of crystals of the mineral gypsum. Lapis lazuli is a type of rock composed of an aggregate of crystals of many minerals including lazurite, pyrite, phlogopite, calcite, potassium feldspar, wollastonite and some sodalite group minerals.
Construction aggregate examples[edit source | edit]
Use in industry[edit source | edit]
See also[edit source | edit]
References[edit source | edit]
- Neuendorf, K.K.E.; Mehl, Jr., J.P.; Jackson, J.A., eds. (2005). Glossary of Geology (5th ed.). Alexandria, Virginia: American Geological Institute. p. 11.
- Abel, Mara; Lorenzatti, Alexandre; Rama Fiorini, Sandro; Carbonera, Joel (2015). Ontological analysis of the lithology data in PPDM well core model. PNEC Conferences. Houston. p. 3. Retrieved 27 March 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Teichert, Curt (1965). Devonian Rocks and Paleogeography of Arizona (US Geological Survey Professional Paper 464) (PDF). Washington DC: USGS. p. 150.
- Jessica Elzea Kogel (2006). Industrial Minerals & Rocks: Commodities, Markets, and Uses (7th ed.). SME. p. 522. ISBN 978-0-87335-233-8.
- T. Calligaro; Y. Coquinot; L. Pichon; B. Moignard (2011). "Advances in elemental imaging of rocks using the AGLAE external microbeam". Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B. 269 (20): 2364–2372. doi:10.1016/j.nimb.2011.02.074.
- Allaby, Ailsa; Allaby, Michael (1999). A Dictionary of Earth Sciences (2nd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-280079-5.
- Same Day Aggregates: Types of Aggregates - Same Day Aggregates, accessdate: March 25, 2017
- Indiana Mineral Aggregates Association | Carmel, IN: What are aggregates? - Indiana Mineral Aggregates Association | Carmel, IN, accessdate: March 25, 2017
- Introduction (1): What are Aggregates? « Herefordshire & Worcestershire Earth Heritage Trust: Introduction (1): What are Aggregates? « Herefordshire & Worcestershire Earth Heritage Trust, accessdate: March 23, 2017
- Define Aggregate at Dictionary.com: aggregate, accessdate: March 23, 2017
- Qasrawi, Hisham; Marie, Iqbal (2013). "Towards Better Understanding of Concrete Containing Recycled Concrete Aggregate". Advances in Materials Science and Engineering. 2013: 1–8. doi:10.1155/2013/636034.
[edit source | edit]
- What are aggregates?
- Concrete Aggregates — Geological Considerations
- What is aggregate? — The Bare Essentials of Concrete — Part 2 YouTube video (duration 4 minutes)
|This geology article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Visibility[edit source | edit]
This page has been added to search engine indexes. learn more