Angela Ijeoma Okorie
Angela Okorie is a Nigerian actress. In 2015, she won the City People Entertainment Awards for Best Supporting Actress. She is also noted to have acted in more than 100 films between 2009 and 2014.
Early life and education[edit source | edit]
Okorie, the third of five children, was born and raised in Cotonou, Benin Republic. She studies theatre arts at the University of Lagos. She also attended Lagos State University, studying public administration. She is a native of the Ishiagu in Ivo LGA in Ebonyi State.
Career[edit source | edit]
Okorie ventured into Nollywood in 2009, after a decade in modelling for a soap company. Her first movie was Sincerity in 2009. The film was produced and directed by Stanley Egbonini and Ifeanyi Ogbonna respectively, and stars Chigozie Atuanya, Nonso Diobi, Yemi Blaq and Oge Okoye. According to Pulse Nigeria, her break into the limelight came after she starred in Holy Serpent. She has also stated her desire to record gospel music in the future. In 2014, she was described as one of the "most sought after actresses" in Nollywood by Vanguard newspaper, as well as a "popular actress" that interprets roles with ease by The Nation newspaper. She also stated that she intends to go into film production. Speaking on her musical aspirations, she explained that she has written numerous songs and would release her album soon, describing music as something that has always been a part of her. In January 2014, she was documented to have acted in more than 80 film productions. In 2015, she won the City People Entertainment Awards for Best Supporting Actress in an English film. In August 2014, she acted in more than 100 films since 2009. In a 2014 interview, she explained that her mother was not comfortable with her acting on religious grounds. She also stated that she wouldn't act nude irrespective of the fee, explaining that even her role models in the Nigerian industry, like Genevieve Nnaji didn't need to go unclad to become a star. She also cited her cultural beliefs as reasons for dressing conservatively in films.
Personal life and views on lesbianism[edit source | edit]
She is married with a son. In a publication by the Dailypost newspaper, she explained that she usually makes a conscious effort to separate her family from the media. She also debunked rumours of a breakup in her marriage. Speaking on lesbianism in Nigeria, she explained that she is against it, particularly because "Our culture forbids it. It is a sin and it is uncalled for. Why would a woman be romantically involved with another woman?". In a 2015 post, she downplayed the role of social media by men in relationships. Following the invitation of Apostle Suleman Johnson by the DSS, Okorie urged all Christians to support the clergyman because his views represented that of most of them.. On 25 July 2020 Angela Okorie remarried, got engaged to her secret lover, Nwele Michael Chukwudi a.k.a Chuchu.A fellow actress, Chita Agwu Johnson, shared photos from the marriage proposal online. They had a romantic beach wedding on July 30, 2020.
Filmography[edit source | edit]
- Sincerity (2009)
- Secret Code
- Heart of a Widow
- Holy Serpent (with Kenneth Okonkwo) (2011)
- Royal Vampire
- Palace of Vampire
See also[edit source | edit]
References[edit source | edit]
- admin (February 4, 2017). "I'll sue Kemi Olunloyo if she accuses me unjustly again –Angela Okorie". Punch Newspaper.
- Ayomide, Tayo (August 17, 2015). "Angela Okorie is a year older". Pulse Nigeria.
- Ayinla-Olasunkanmi, Dupe (January 25, 2014). "Why my husband can't cheat on me–Nollywood actress Angela Okorie". Nation Newspaper.
- admin (August 16, 2014). "I will never act nude, no matter the fee – Angela Okorie". Daily Independent Newspaper.[permanent dead link]
- Amagiya, Florence (February 15, 2014). "It' s not enough to get married to a rich man—Angela Okorie". Vanguard Newspaper.
- Adunni, Amodeni (2016). "Full List Of Winners At City People Awards 2015". Naij.com.
- Ogbeche, Daneilla (June 13, 2016). "Angela Okorie opens up on alleged marriage crash". Dailypost Nigeria.
- Abraham, Anthony (October 25, 2015). "Beware Of Internet Lovers, Angela Okorie Advices Ladies". Leadership Newspaper. Archived from the original on February 22, 2017. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- admin (January 30, 2017). ""Let every Christian come out in a procession to accompany Apostle Suleman to the DSS office…He spoke for us all" – Actress Angela Okorie to Nigerians". Bellanaija.com.
- "Angela Okorie Gets Engaged To Unidentified Lover, See Photos". Legitng. 2020-07-27. Retrieved 2020-07-30.
- "Angela Okorie: All you need to know about actress' new husband". Pulseng. 2020-07-30. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
- "Photos From Angela Okorie Beach Wedding With New Boyfriend, Chuchu". Gistvic. 2020-07-30. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
- "Angela Okorie And Her Fiance Desmond Tie The Knot In A Beach Wedding". Vanguardng. 2020-07-31. Retrieved 2020-08-01.